February is apparently the month of salads. And here’s yet another one for you!
Yeah, so I’ve been making a lot of salads lately. And that’s totally fine in my book. I love me a good, quick salad when I’m short on time. And lately, I feel like I’m perpetually short on time.
I had to get a little creative with this one, and to be completely honest, once I’d come up with the recipe for this, I wasn’t entirely sure how well all these ingredients would go together… But one bite and I was a believer. This salad rocks.
Super quick and easy to throw together, this salad is made of shredded carrot mixed with fresh chopped curly kale and bite-sized pieces of citrus, dressed with a homemade orange sherry vinaigrette, and garnished with pistachios and (optionally) parmesan. Tangerines or mandarin oranges would be perfect in this salad, but I didn’t have any on hand, so I used a mix of Valencia and Cara Cara oranges instead. Just use whatever citrus fruit you like best! I also used orange, yellow, and purple carrots for that extra pop of color. I’m such a sucker for colorful food.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 oranges, juiced (about ½ cup of juice)
- dash of lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- dash of salt & pepper
- 1 large bunch curly kale
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3-4 oranges, tangerines, or other citrus, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup pistachios
- shaved parmesan to garnish (optional)*
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk with fork until well combined.
- Remove the stems from the kale and finely chop into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chopped kale in a large bowl, add carrots and oranges and toss to combine. Pour dressing over salad, and toss until evenly distributed.
- Garnish with pistachios and shaved parmesan, if using.